VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO:
Deadline For Application: 07 December 2021
|JOB TITLE: Watershed Management Specialist
TYPE OF REQUISITION: National Project Personnel (NPP)
DUTY STATION: Cox’s Bazar
ORGANIZATIONAL UNIT: FAO REPRESENTATIVE IN BANGLADESH
|DURATION: 12 months (extendable)
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
FAO in collaboration with the government, UN organizations and development partners began serving both the host communities and Rohingya population in building their livelihoods and skill development opportunities as well as ensuring environmental Integrity in Cox’s Bazar from October 2017. FAO with support of USAID, (BHA) has developed a project “Integrating Environmental Management into Disaster Risk Reduction and Disaster Risk Management Cox Bazar host communities.”
with one of the major outcomes being to establish, participatory Watershed management planning for selected major catchments in Sadar, Ramu, Ukhiya and Teknaf. In SAFE Plus, 2, a multi-donor and partner project under development, and mainly focusing on Sustainable Energy for Environmental Integrity as well as Livelihoods and Self Reliance, the issue of Integrated Watershed management will remain one of the major components of focus by FAO. Therefore, a Specialist for this component is being prioritized.
Reporting Lines :
Watershed Management Specialist is a SC 9 position based in Cox’s bazar. He/she will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Bangladesh, the guidance of the Senior Emergency and Rehabilitation Officer and the day to day supervision of the FAO Cox’s Bazar Head of Program.
The Watershed Management Specialist will design the Watershed Management activities and lead the field implementation of water related activities. He/she will maintain a very good working relationships and linkages with the government departments and communities, and ensure quality of watershed related plans and designs. To ensure a harmonized socioecological system that encircled the water resources, the Specialist will work to develop a framework for better management of the watershed and its catchment areas through a holistic management plan focusing on the major water user group.
Working with the Natural Resource Management and Livelihood team as well as relevant Government stakeholders in Cox’s Bazar, the National Specialist will contribute to better regulation of the water cycle, aimed at building community Resilience and improve people’s livelihoods within targeted communities He/she will also determine the feasibility of proposed IWRM interventions.
Tasks and responsibilities :
- The Watershed Management Specialist will support the FAO Programme at Cox’s Bazar in conducting the following tasks:
- Delineate the wider watershed catchment areas of major water bodies at Cox’s Bazar incorporating all available information
- Develop a methodology for the assessment of watershed status with historical changes focusing on the major drivers
- Develop watershed-specific management plans for the project intervention areas incorporating technical inputs from the major stakeholders
- Conduct field missions and consultation workshops
- Assist in the development of technical documents related to the field implementation (procurement of necessary equipment, field commissioning, and performance assessment)
- Train Community members and other relevant Stakeholders in participatory Community-based Watershed Management
- Perform geospatial modelling analysis for the watershed management (past, present, and future trend),
- Conduct Field visits to project areas to support understanding of the impacts of irrigation systems on agriculture, and potential opportunities.
- Support in exploring needs and opportunities for innovative and sustainable watershed management practices in project areas for increased agriculture production, and ecosystem and community health.
- Help scope need and opportunities for dry season irrigation practices and surface water conservation/retention and management.
- Identify and support the Project team on opportunities to support sustainable watershed management in project areas documented.
- Mainstream gender in all Watershed Management activities.
- Prepare final Mission Report of the activities undertaken under this consultation to include recommendations for follow up
- Liaise with Dhaka-based government partners and FAO teams; assist them to explore watershed management approaches that may be scaled up outside of the Cox Bazar context
- Perform any other functions assigned by the management.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Master’s degree in Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) Water Engineering, Geography and Environmental Sciences, Environmental and Natural Resource management or related field;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in natural resource management related program implementation, Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM)/ Environmental/Natural Resource Management and Project Cycle Management
- Professional experience with Environmental/Natural Resources Management or Water Engineering will be an added advantage.
- National of Bangladesh
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Working knowledge of English is essential;
- Knowledge of natural Resources/Forestry systems;
- Proven track record of successful teamwork, good presentation/facilitation skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required;
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision;
- Self-motivation, willingness to learn and strong work ethics in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: iRecruitment@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- For further information on categories, contract duration and honoraria; please refer to the Conditions page.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: iRecruitment@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT